28 September 2006

Readers Imbibing Peril (R.I.P.) Autumn Challenge

I'm up for a challenge, after a month of challenges. I found one by Carl V. at www.stainlesssteeldroppings.com (which is a novel experience; normally my challenges find me, and disturb my reading time). However, of late I avoid scary stories as they have been giving me sleep problems. Reading Christine in high school kept me up in a panic many nights. I think I'll take a histrorical, movie-related approachSo picking my 5 books is a challenge. Prizes are already awarded, and I'm late to join the challenge, so I'll set a self-imposed deadline of Halloween. Here is my list of 5:
  1. Something spooky by Sherlock Holmes. This will also engage me in the Sherlock Holmes festival in town this October. I'm thinking about Hound of the Baskervilles.
  2. A collection of Edgar Allen Poe's stories; must include two favorites, The Cask of Amontillado and The Masque of the Red Death. This will be a re-read, but a challenge, because I haven't yet seen my copy of this book in my moving boxes so don't know where it is yet. Don't you hate that?
  3. Reviewing the other challenge participant's entries, I'm struck by the fact that I've never read Bram Stoker's Dracula.
  4. On that note, I suppose to complete my horror education I should read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I expect it will be as engaging as one of my favorite movies, Young Frankenstein. (Side note: I read Kiss me like a Stranger this summer, and boy was it a dog.)
  5. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. Do you think he would sound less puritanical if he shortened his last name to Ving, a'la Ving Rhames?

0 comments: