04 May 2008

3.70% at 3:00 am

Thank you Exibris for your recent post about the 1% well read challenge based on the book 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. This challenge is really keen; I've wondered more than once what would serve as a literature canon and this seems like a decent shot at it. I question a few of the left off book - e.g., who is Joyce's Ulysses included but not Homer's? But overall, with the exception of Shikasta, the books I've read from this list have been really wonderful.

I'm hiding from challenges for the nonce (heck, if I finished the titles listed below that I'd already tagged for other challenges, I'd be another 1% along), but thought it was interesting to evaluate my reading against the list using a handy spreadsheet from Arukiyoma My score: 3.70% based on having read the following list. So, I have 96.30% of my reading life yet ahead of me.

    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
    Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
    The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
    Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
    Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams
    The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
    Neuromancer by William Gibson
    The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
    Shikasta by Doris Lessing
    The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
    Interview With the Vampire by Anne Rice
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
    The Once and Future King by T.H. White
    The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
    The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
    Foundation by Isaac Asimov
    I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
    Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell
    Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
    The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
    Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
    The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
    The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
    The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
    A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
    The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
    The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allan Poe
    Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
    Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
    Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
    Gargantua and Pantagruel by Françoise Rabelais
    Aesop’s Fables by Aesopus


I'm updating my Shelfari page with this info too.

1 comments:

Liz said...

Ugh. Total time-suck, reading through all those titles and bolding the ones I've read. 116 of 'em. Not for nothing was I a Comparative Literature (English & French literatures) major in college! Of course, it made me realize how poorly read I have been of late. Time to get back into that habit.