21 July 2008

Rescue for Fido, Rover, et al.


Your Adopted Dog by Shelley Frost and Katerina Lorenzatos Makris is a comfortable blend of uplifting stories and practical advice. The book includes many 'happily ever after' stories giving different perspectives on rescued dogs. I found these to be the most delightful part of the book. Also uplifting were the variety of quotes throughout, including Lincoln's below. The advice sections - on a variety of canine diseases and common problems - would serve as a valuable reference for someone who works rescuing dogs.

The best chapter is Chapter 4: What to Do if you FInd a Dog in Need. This gives detailed, immediately accessible advice. From my experience working with rescue dogs, the advice is accurate . I wish I had had the Supply List (p 45) when I started out - it is quite comprehensive and doesn't include any fripperies.

I also found Chapter 10: Home Sweet Home very useful. This offers insights into placing a rescue dog in a 'forever home.' One thing I found interesting was the injunction to be selective - sending a rescue dog to a home that isn't a good fit is likely to result in a 'bounce' where the dog returns to you anyway. So that is good reinforcement.

If you're someone who rescues dogs, or has adopted a rescued dog - let me know! I'd be happy to hear your advice on what could improve the process or what went well for you.


"I could not have slept to-night if I had left that helpless little creature to perish on the ground." Abraham Lincoln (in reply to friends who chided him for delaying them by stopping to return a fledgling to its nest.)

2 comments:

Liz said...

Seriously? This is what you titled this post? I'm honored!

Ejly said...

Liz, of course you should be honored! I admit it must have been a subconscious compliment on my part but it is a compliment still!