08 November 2006

Better luck next time?

I batted 1 out of 5 for the RIP Challenge, but hopefully I can do better for the From the Stacks Winter Challenge. Thanks to the Overdue Books Blog for instituting this challenge!

This Challenge will be particularly difficult for me as I am addicted to my library card and often set aside purchased books or loans from other bibliophiles (with no formal due date) in order to take up something that just arrived at the library in response to my interlibrary loan requests. However, I embrace the challenge as there are some sadly neglected - and excellent - tomes hovering in my hopper.
  1. Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin.
  2. 1491; New Revelations of the Americas before Columbus by Charles C. Mann (not purchased, but Mom loaned me her autographed copy and she'll want it back eventually)
  3. More Tales of the Black Widowers by Isaac Asimov. I rescued this from the $1 bin years and years ago at a used book store and haven't read it yet.
  4. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, because A Dance with Dragons will surely be published at some point. Right, George?
  5. Ten Colloquies by Erasmus (translated by Craig R. Thompson) because he has some interesting things to say about war and warmongering. Almost 500 years later, and still relevant.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

What an ambitious list! Good for you!! I started Team of Rivals earlier this year, but put it aside for other reading. It is one I really want to get back to because it is so good! Will also be interested in your thoughts on 1491.

Anonymous said...

Holy Moly, how about a post about how you find time to read, work, be a wonderful wife, not to mention awesome friend and Mother!

hugs friend,
Nic